Tuesday 2 April 2013

NatCon Results and Games (Day 1)

Sorry for not posting earlier, was extreamly exhausted when I got home and felt quite down due to the last game but I'll go into that later. Overall.... VERY PLEASED on how I did. I managed get my first award which was the 'Butcher' (most kill points) and won by quite a few thousand points apparently. I'm very happy with this because you don't see Dwarfs getting heaps of kill points naturally. But I managed to pretty much table three of my opponents with them only have 0-1 units left at the end of turn 6. 4 Wins and 4 losses, averaged 11.1 (around that I think) which makes me even more happier. All my wins were big (20-0,  20-0, 18-2, 15-5) and my losses were OK (16-4, 16-4, 14-6, 18-2) I managed not to get completely destroyed during the losses  maybe besides game 8 when Mal tabled me...

So here are some descriptions of all 8 games.

Day 1, Game 1: Sam Whitt and his Dark Elves

(Grudge Match) I was really looking forward to this game as Sam is one of my favorite opponents to play against and I always finish the game happy and I always learn something new. Don't know how Sam puts up with it though, me constantly bringing Dwarfs and talking loads of crap about them, and just generally  talking loads of crap, but he's a champ and puts up with it!. So Sam's list consisted of 9 Cold on Knights with a BSB and a badass Lord mounted on Cold Ones as well. With I think 3-4 units of Darkriders, 20 crossbows CoB,  TWO hydras, and Owl Flying Pennant of all this anti Dwarf! There might have been other stuff in his list but those units played the only relevance  Turn one went to me and I took a chance and fired my cannons at the Cauldron of Blood a and managed to three wounds to it but never managing to get the last one, dammit. I was expecting to get 0-20 just due to his list against mine. I knew my list would have a very hard time against it his unless somehow I got lucky. And speaking of luck, Sam proceeded to fail a a charged in which he only needed to roll a max of 4 on three dice on his cold one bus and let me open up my organ gun killing like five of them and taking his BSB with them as well (I must say Sam, you took that like a champ, I would have been fuming man, first failing the charge, but then eating a ass full of artillery, took it like a pro!). I was through the moon at that point, I thought I had a really good chance at beating him but one of the hydras managed to make it in and caused a butt load of wounds and the remainder of the cold ones managed to get in next turn and destroyed all hopes of that aspect. My 40 Man warrior unit which never took a single wound or did anything at all the whole game failed a Ldr 9 roll for my Hammerer unit + BSB being destroyed and fled off the table. And that pretty much sealed the deal there really. 16-4 loss. Overall, pleased with the match, and looking back, the only thing I could have changed was to deploy my organ guns sideways on the 12" mark of deployment then come my 1st turn, pivot the organ guns to face the barrels straight (measure distance from the barrels with warmachines, its gamey, but it's legal. Not sure if Sam would have liked that to much) at his cold ones giving me another 1.5" of shooting length, giving me a turn 1 organ gun salvo! I think if I had killed the Cauldron turn one and opened up the organ guns on the same turn, I would have walked away with a 20-0, but oh well. Some people we're wondering why I accepted to grudge Sam because of his skill level and my odds on beating him... you know, some times, um, just possibly, I just like playing the dude and I'm not just out to win and would only accept grudges by people that I know I can beat, a hard game is way more worth it. Even though I lost, I still really enjoyed it and I enjoyed it so much I even gave him best sport. I will beat you one day Sam! With Dwarfs...while sitting in a corner, while shooting you with awesomeness, all with a smirk on my face... one day!

Game 2: Mark Skilton and his Vampire counts - Watchtower

This was my first time playing Mark and he was a really nice fellow to play with, and he was very tolerant with me as I was being unusually slow, cheers for that Mark! He had a Nightmare Colossus from the Monstrous Arcaneum book and it was hell of a thing, very cool crafted model made by Mark himself. Mark did manage to get the damn thing into combat due to my cannons being lazy and not wanting to kill it before that happening. But my hammerers got very lucky and managed to take it 'oot' themselves while sustaining few casualties, I think like 10 died but I was expecting more. Mark had a Black Knight bus + BSB and Vamp Lord in it with so many rerolls I began to lose all faith in life itself. After watching about the 50th reroll I think I almost turned my own cannon on my self. I guess I got a taste of my own medicine... perhaps... Mark managed to get a unit of Ghouls into the tower and they pretty much sat there the entire game, only to trade off with the 2nd unit of Ghouls when I managed to get them low... hooray! I did manage to get the Black Knight unit but none of the characters. 16-4 loss. I feel like I did the best I could, with really only 1 bad call (not charging one of the hammerer blocks into the tower, I think I could have beat him out of there but I was playing two defensively. He managed to get first turn so there was no way I could stop him from getting to the tower first. Good game nonetheless.

Not doing the best at the moment but I kept saying to my self... 6 more games, 6 more games! So I was ready for...

Game 3! Neil Williamson and his Dwarfs

So this was the second time I got face my fellow Wairarapian in a tournament and was looking forward to it and he brought along his Dwarfs for the first time. But this was no ordinary Dwarf list, this was the dreaded, NO DEPLOY Dwarfs, with units of Miners and Rangers at its core, along with an Anvil and some warmachines. Going into the game I knew I had the upper hand in combat with my body number superiority so my plan was to move move move right up to his most expensive unit with all his characters in it. We both had scouts and I won the roll to put mine down first. I knew Neil Would try to throw his Longbeard Ranger unit down along with Characters right in front of my warriors unit and anvil charge them into them. So I just chucked my rangers into a position to stop him and forced his LB Rangers back into his deployment zone. I also managed to get the first turn even with Neil having +1 one. I followed up on this and destroyed on of cannons and then his Dragon Slayer, then his Gyrocopter the following turn. I managed to get my BSB hammerer unit close enough to Neil's normal Ranger unit and challenge them with my MR of Challenge which Neil chose to flee from (it was the best decision) unfortuantly he rolled very high on his flee leaving him very close to the board edge and to far away from his BSB for the reroll. He then failed to rally them next turn and they fled of the table... phew, easy pickns' I guess. Very unlucky for Neil. He also tried charging his 20 man miner units into my warriors backs, but then me managing to beat them both on the second round of combat and running them both down. Neil took a risk and it didn't follow through. I managed to get all the  blocks and all the Characters minus the Anvil. 18-2 win to be. I felt like I did everything right in this game, charged the right units, shot the right units and so on, Neil was unlucky not to go first so that set him back. Any Dwarf that doesn't go first really sucks and really disadvantages us... MAJORLY. We need the first turn to get the first round of shooting in, I know that sounds really naff, but it needs to happen, of we're pretty much on the back foot.

End of the first day and I was on 26pts, a little poor, but I was OK with it, 4pts short of 10-10 average. I had a good day, and I was happy I got to see all the Familiar faces again. I really do enjoy that part of the hobby, making mates through gaming and meeting up with them to see whats going on and how they've been doing and talking a whole lot, and as most people know, I 'fooking' talk ALOT! (Hence the blog, lol). Playing games, hopefully thrashing their army If I play them and taking off all their toys, but most importantly, talking bucket loads of shit about my Dwarfs and how they are the best and that nobody will ever get to cast magic onto them, and that my shooting is superior to everyone else's, stuff like that.

Day 2 coming tomorrow. So to remember to actually do it, I'll just stick I big yellow sticky on my computer screen reminding me, I'll still probably forget until 11:30pm... like tonight.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment